As a whole, you might be eligible for naturalization under Section 319(a) for the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if your
- Have now been a resident that is permanentGreen Card holder) for at the least three years
- Were surviving in marital union using the U.S. that is same citizen during such time
- Meet all other eligibility demands under this section
In some instances, partners of U.S. residents used abroad may be eligible for a naturalization no matter their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under area 319(b) of this INA.
For information concerning spouses of armed forces people, see our users of the Military and their own families web web page. Also for information on learning to be a permanent resident or petitioning for household members, please go to our Green Card or Family websites.
General Eligibility Demands
To qualify for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) for the INA, an applicant must:
- Be 18 or older
- Be a permanent resident (Green Card owner) for at the very least 36 months instantly preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Have already been surviving in marital union because of the U.S. citizen partner, that has been a U.S. resident during every one of such duration, through the 36 months instantly preceding the date of filing the applying or over until assessment from the application
- Have lived in the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction within the applicant’s spot of residence, for at the least a few months before the date of filing the program
- Have actually constant residence in america as a lawful permanent resident for at least 36 months immediately preceding the date of filing the applying
- Live constantly inside the usa from the date of application for naturalization before the right time of naturalization
- Be physically present in the usa for at the very least eighteen months from the three years instantly preceding the date of filing the application form
- Manage to read, compose, and talk English and possess knowledge and a knowledge of U.S. history and government (also referred to as civics)
- Be an individual of great ethical character, attached to the concepts regarding the Constitution regarding the united states of america, and well disposed into the good purchase and pleasure regarding the united states of america during all appropriate durations beneath the legislation
Partners of U.S. People Employed Abroad
Generally speaking, the partner of the U.S. resident that is utilized by the U.S. federal federal government, such as the army, or other qualifying manager, whose partner is scheduled become stationed abroad such employment for at the least 12 months during the time of filing, can be qualified to receive naturalization under section b that is 319( of this INA.
Generally speaking, a spouse of the U.S. resident employed abroad must certanly be contained in the usa pursuant to an admission that is lawful permanent residence during the time of assessment in the naturalization application as well as the full time of naturalization, and meet of all the demands mentioned above except that:
- No certain duration being a permanent resident (Green Card owner) is needed (nevertheless the spouse should be a resident that is permanent
- No certain amount of constant residence or presence that is physical the usa is necessary
- No certain amount of marital union is needed; nevertheless, the partners should be in a marriage that is valid the full time of filing before the period of naturalization asian mail order bride.
Note: you have to additionally establish which you intend to reside in the United States immediately upon the termination of your spouse’s employment abroad that you will depart abroad immediately after naturalization and.